Near Hinesburg in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Early Black Settlers
On this hill from 1795 to 1865 thrived an African American farming community. The first settlers at the bottom of this road in 1798, from MA, were Samuel Peters, Hannah Lensemen & husband Prince Peters. Prince served in Captain Silas Pierce's MA Line (8th Co, 3rd MA Regiment) for 3 years during the American Revolution. Samuel Peters, 2nd volunteered at the Battle of Plattsburgh during the War of 1812. This pioneering community at the bottom of the hill, at least six related families by the end of the Civil War, cleared the land, joined the local Baptist church, had home manufactories, and exercised their voting rights at Freeman Meetings. Their descendants owned land here and contributed to the local economy of this hill until the late 20th century.
Erected 2009 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War of 1812 • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
Location. 44° 19.258′ N, 73° 4.402′ W. Marker is near Hinesburg, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Hill Road and North Road, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hinesburg VT 05461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chester Arthur (approx. 1.9 miles away); Huntington Gorge / Deaths at the Huntington Gorge (approx. 6.1 miles away); A Tribute to the Cochran Family of Richmond, VT (approx. 6˝ miles away); Richmond's Fallen SonThe Citizens of Richmond (approx. 6˝ miles away); The Round Church / Richmond, Vermont (approx. 6.6 miles away); Edmunds' Birthplace (approx. 7.7 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.