Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grahamville in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Euhaw Baptist Church

 
 
Euhaw Baptist Church Marker </b>(front) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 21, 2008
1. Euhaw Baptist Church Marker (front)
Inscription.  

Established on Edisto Island about 1686 by Scotch dissenters, this is the second oldest Baptist organization in the South. For many years a branch of First Baptist Church in Charleston, Euhaw declared itself a separate church in 1745 after relocating to this vicinity from Edisto Island. A sanctuary was built 6 mi. NE

Reverse:
in 1751; it burned in 1857. The first sanctuary on this site was built in 1860. It burned in 1904 and was replaced by the sanctuary in 1906, which is still used for occasional services. The present sanctuary nearby was built in 1982.
 
Erected 1995 by Members and Friends. (Marker Number 27-12.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1686.
 
Location. 32° 28.105′ N, 80° 57.991′ W. Marker is in Grahamville, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3676 Bees Creek Rd, Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured
Euhaw Baptist Church Marker </b>(reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 21, 2008
2. Euhaw Baptist Church Marker (reverse)
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Grahamville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gopher Tortoise Square (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ridgeland (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Paul's Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Churches of the County - Euhaw Baptist Church. Moving Finger of Jasper, by Grace Fox Perry (©2001). (Submitted on July 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Euhaw Baptist Church </b>(the 1906 sanctuary) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 21, 2008
3. Euhaw Baptist Church (the 1906 sanctuary)
Euhaw Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
4. Euhaw Baptist Church Marker
Euhaw Baptist Church Sanctuary </b>(built 1982) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 22, 2008
5. Euhaw Baptist Church Sanctuary (built 1982)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,044 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8674

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021