Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Aiken, Sr.
URS Corporation on the occasion of the City of Aiken's 175th year, graciously donated this symbolic representation of William Aiken Sr. (1779-1831), for whom the city was named in 1835. Aiken was an entrepreneur and president of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company, which in 1833 ran the world's longest railroad, from Charleston to Hamburg, S.C., through land that is now the City of Aiken.
Erected 2011 by URS Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 33° 33.583′ N, 81° 43.267′ W. Marker is in Aiken, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is on Newberry Street NW, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aiken SC 29801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Survey of Aiken (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); H. Odell Weeks (about 500 feet away); St. John's Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Aiken (about 600 feet away); Battle of Aiken (about 700 feet away); Aiken County (about 700 feet away); James F. Byrnes (about 700 feet away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (about 700 feet away); The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995 (about 800 feet away); The S.C. Railroad (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Also see . . .
1. William Aiken. William Aiken (1779 – May 5, 1831), or William Aiken, Sr., was the founder and president of the pioneering South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company. (Submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company was chartered under act of the South Carolina General Assembly of December 19, 1827. (Submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.