Harrington Park in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Frederick Wortendyke owned this land in 1723. It was once part of a large grant called the Tappan Patent. His son Jacob, who owned the homestead during the Revolutionary War, was taken captive in one of many British raids made in the area. Later owners included members of the Blauvelt, Demarest and Herring families. The house, rebuilt over the years, is now a combination of eighteenth and nineteenth century architecture.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1723.
Location. 40° 59.245′ N, 73° 58.534′ W. Marker is in Harrington Park, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Harriot Avenue and Lafayette Road, on the left when traveling east on Harriot Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 Harriot Avenue, Harrington Park NJ 07640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Old Burying Ground (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blanch-Haring House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garret J. Durie House (approx. Ό mile away); Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Perry Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Peter A. Blauvelt House (approx. one mile away); Hilderbrant Naugle House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrington Park.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on June 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,868 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.