Near Ingleside in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario
In 1881 Michael Cook, who operated a prosperous 200-acre farm here, imported the first Holstein Friesian cattle into Ontario. This was part of a movement among progressive farmers to find a breed of cattle that would produce enough milk for Ontario's growing dairy industry, especially cheese production. Initially Cook imported two bulls and ten cows. He continued to import Holstein cattle from the United States and The Netherlands, and distribute them throughout the province. The Holstein quickly established its reputation with Ontario farmers and, in 1886, the Dairymen's Association of Eastern Ontario recognized the Holstein as the leading milk-producing breed.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture.
Location. 44° 57.919′ N, 75° 2.022′ W. Marker is near Ingleside, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Morrison's Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located 1 mile south of Ontario Route 2 via Aultsville Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ingleside, Ontario K0C 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loyalist American Regiments / Loyalists of the Indian Nations / Sir John Johnson (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); George H. Challies (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm 1813 (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Battlefield of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Farran's Point (approx. 4 kilometers away); Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area (approx. 5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Aultsville Train Station and Locomotive 1008 (approx. 5.3 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.