Allatoona in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1866, George N. Barnard photographed Allatoona looking north from approximately the same location as this marker. The Western & Atlantic Railroad from Atlanta to Chattanooga penetrated the Allatoona Mountain range at this point through a 175 ft. deep cut. Allatoona, a small community alongside the railroad, was intersected by several important wagon roads.
The plantation residence photographed on the far left is the John Clayton (now Mooney) house. This privately owned structure looks much the same today as in the Barnard photograph. Pictured immediately left of the railroad tracks stood the Allatoona train depot. Across the tracks were the warehouses and sheds in which large quantities of Federal supplies were stored at the time of the battle. Built to defend the railroad below, the Star Fort is visible atop the hill on the left. The Tennessee Wagon Road winds northward up and over the hill to right. The frame house once standing on top of the right hill was used as headquarters for the 4th Minnesota Infantry Regiment garrisoned at Allatoona. During construction of the defenses, Union forces removed trees on both hills
Images of War and Life
Advances in photography shortly before the beginning of America's War Between the States provided the public with images of battles, heroism, and death such as they had never seen before. Photographers like George Barnard, Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner, Timothy O'Sullivan, and George Cook worked to document the epic battles along the along with the everyday lives of both Northerners and Southerners.
George Bernard's famous photographs of Allatoona are the result of his role as an official photographer for the U.S. Army. Others work independently or for the various newspapers and magazines. Newspapers and magazines of that day did not yet possess the technology required for printing photographs; therefore, engravers created images from photographs and sketches. Artist, such as Alfred and William Waud, Thomas Nast, and Edwin Forbes provided "Harper´s Weekly," "Harper's New Monthly Magazine," "Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper," and "The London Illustrated News" with war images for their subscribers.
Erected by Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 34° 6.84′ N, 84° 42.898′ W. Marker is in Allatoona, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker can be reached from Old Allatoona Road SE, 0.4 miles north of Allatoona Landing Road SE, on the right. Located at the head of the path at Allatoona Pass Battlefield Park (turn right at the gate). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 632 Old Allatoona Rd SE, Cartersville GA 30121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Allatoona Pass (here, next to this marker); Demand For Surrender (here, next to this marker); The Railroad (here, next to this marker); The Memorial Field (here, next to this marker); Welcome to Allatoona Pass Battlefield (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Allatoona (within shouting distance of this marker); Allatoona Pass (within shouting distance of this marker); Tennessee Wagon Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allatoona.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Allatoona. Wikipedia (Submitted on August 18, 2015.)
2. Bartow County Civil War History - Allatoona Pass Battlefield. Etowah Valley Historical Society (Submitted on August 18, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.