Allatoona in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chartered by the State of Georgia in 1837, workmen completed the Western & Atlantic Railroad in 1850 over a winding 137-mile route from Atlanta, Georgia, to Chattanooga, Tennessee. At Allatoona, massive quantities of earth and stone were removed to create passage for a single railroad track through the mountain.
Two years after the "Great Locomotive Chase", General William T. Sherman's Union army pushed south from Tennessee towards Atlanta. Most of the battles followed during the Atlanta campaign took place within short distance of this railroad supply line.
The railroad abandoned the track to Allatoona Pass in the late 1940s when the route was relocated to avoid Lake Allatoona, then under construction. Today, one can only image the sound of the great steam locomotives moving through this deep cut.
"The W&A RR of Georgia should be the pride of every true American because by reason of its existence the Union was saved. Every foot of it should be sacred ground, because it was once moistened with patriotic blood. Over a hundred miles of it was fought in a continuous battle of 120 days, during which, night
General William T. Sherman
The Great Locomotive Chase
Railroads became vital supply lines to both North and South during the Civil War. On April 12, 1862, James Andrews and a group of mostly nonuniformed Union soldiers commandeered the locomotive "General" and a mixed freight-passenger train from Big Shanty, 13 miles south of Allatoona. Heading north, their mission was to damage the railroad, destroy bridges, cut telegraph wires, and disrupt supplies to the Confederate army in Tennessee. Conductor William Fuller, engineer Jeff Cain, and Superintendent Anthony Murphy pursued their stolen train using a pole cart. Beyond Allatoona, the men were thrown from their car and into a ditch after hitting a section of track sabotaged by the raiders. Enlisting other W&A locomotives to continue the chase, Fuller and Murphy helped capture Andrews and the Raiders later that day north of Ringgold, Georgia. Several of "Andrews Raiders" became the first recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Christian Schussel designed the Army Medal of Honor which was approved by Congress on July 12, 1862. The army intended that the medal be awarded to recognize "gallantry in action and other soldier-like qualities" among enlisted personnel. Congress amended
Erected by Georgia State Parks & Historical Sites.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1814.
Location. 34° 6.84′ N, 84° 42.898′ W. Marker is in Allatoona, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker can be reached from Old Allatoona Road SE, 0.4 miles north of Allatoona Landing Road SE, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 632 Old Allatoona Rd SE, Cartersville GA 30121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wartime Allatoona (here, next to this marker); The Battle of Allatoona Pass (here, next to this marker); The Memorial Field (here, A Demand For Surrender (here, next to this marker); Welcome to Allatoona Pass Battlefield (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Allatoona (within shouting distance of this marker); Allatoona Pass (within shouting distance of this marker); Tennessee Wagon Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allatoona.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.