Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Owens Crossroads in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Winton County Court House Site

1.4 Miles »—→

 
 
Winton County Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
1. Winton County Court House Site Marker
Inscription.  Originally Barnwell County was part of Granville County, later a part of Orangeburg District. Winton County was created by an act of the legislature on March 12, 1785. Justices William Robertson, John Parkinson, Thomas Knight, Richard Treadway, Daniel Green, William Buford, and James Fair were directed to erect a court house, gaol, pillory, whipping post, and stocks. These were built of pine logs. Winton County became Barnwell District in 1798 and Barnwell County in 1868.
 
Erected by Gen. John Barnwell Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 6-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraGovernment & PoliticsNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1843.
 
Location. 33° 9.867′ N, 81° 23.43′ W. Marker is in Owens Crossroads, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on SC 3, on the right when traveling south. About 5 miles south of Barnwell on SC 3. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church (approx. 3 miles away); Boiling Springs Academy (approx. 3.1 miles away); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Town of Ellenton (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bank Of Barnwell / Edgar A. Brown Law Office (approx. 5.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker located amoung a small roadside Military Cemetery Mostly Revolutionary War and War of 1812 graves.Nothing to Identify this perhaps forgotten Cemetery amoung the trees
 
Winton County Court House Site Marker looking southward on SC-3 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
2. Winton County Court House Site Marker looking southward on SC-3
Winton County Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
3. Winton County Court House Site Marker
Marker located near small Military Cemetery; a partial view of the headstones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
4. Marker located near small Military Cemetery; a partial view of the headstones
One of several Revolutionary War Headstones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
5. One of several Revolutionary War Headstones
William Robinson, Qm. Sgt., 1st SC Regiment. Revolutionary War. 1728-1800.
Headstone from War of 1812 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
6. Headstone from War of 1812
John Henry Hair, South Carolina, Private, 2nd Regiment SC Militia. War of 1812. 1788–1854.
Headstone of the only Civil War Veteran image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
7. Headstone of the only Civil War Veteran
John Hair, Company D, Butler’s Regiment, SC Infantry, C.S.A. 1794–1868.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,467 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8749

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024