Throop in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Settlers used Owasco River
power to run sawmills &
gristmills as early as 1798.
This site was one of the
three dams built in Throop.
Erected 2011 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 42° 58.369′ N, 76° 36.02′ W. Marker is in Throop, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on Turnpike Road (County Route 10B) 0.1 miles west of Lewis Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn NY 13021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Auburn Airport (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Throop (approx. 0.4 miles away); Home of Gen. John S. Clark (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cold Spring Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); North Street Cemetery (approx. 2.7 Water Power in the City of Auburn (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wasco (approx. 3 miles away); Auburn Prison (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Throop.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.