Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Franklinton Cemetery
Here also is buried at least one soldier of the American Revolution, Reverend Seth Noble, first minister of the frontier town. In 1811 the first church in the community, Presbyterian, was erected by Lucas Sullivant, the founder of Franklinton, upon the present burial grounds. Sullivant himself was buried here in 1824, but his remains were moved to Green Lawn Cemetery years later. In 1931 the West Side Board of Trade erected a granite obelisk monument in the center of the cemetery, twenty-six feet in height. The memorial contains two commemorative tablets, one of which reads "In this Churchyard Stood the First Church of the Community. Built and Presented to the Congregation by Lucas Sullivant in 1811."
"The strange, unknown people who built the ancient mounds and works near here knew the attractions and worth
Erected May 3, 1962 - Columbus Sesquicentennial Year by the Franklin County Historical Society
Replaced by the Franklin County Historical Society 2005 Sponsored by GFS Chemicals, Inc., Est. 1928
Erected 2005 by Franklin County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
Location. 39° 57.744′ N, 83° 1.342′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Davis Avenue and River Street, on the right when traveling south on North Davis Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 N Davis Ave, Columbus OH 43222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In This Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. Ό mile away); Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Harrison House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.