Near Avalon in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The C.C.C. Builds Our Park
The Civilian Conservation Corps Legacy
The Civilian Conservation Corps transformed Patapsco State Forest Reserve's informal recreation ground into the extensive Patapsco Valley State Park, which our legacy today. Some picnic shelters, roads, and trails are visible reminders of the work done by the young men of the CCC.
Organized during Great Depression, the CCC - sometime's called "Roosevelt's Tree Army" - was a New Deal program created to provide employment for young men in conservation work across the county. CCC men received $30 a month ($25 of which was sent home to support their families) and benefited from nutritional, educational, and recreational programs.
This field once served as the CCC's Patapsco Camp Tydings, #356. From June, 1933 to April,
Similar park projects were continued between May, 1941 and August, 1942 by the first camp of the Civilian Public Service program - an alternative to drafted military service for conscientious objectors during World War II.
Only a few concrete steps, sidewalks and a stone fireplace mark the site of the camp.
Text with middle left photo: The Patapsco Camp hosted Baltimore Orioles start Lyle "Punch" Judy and Milt Gary, depicted here in 1937. Note the stone fireplace of the recreation hall now incorporated in a picnic shelter and the Oriole on the camp's emblem over the mantel.
Text with main photo: Camp Tydings included five barracks, a recreation hall, a mess hall, the headquarters building and a dispensary.
Text with lower middle photo: Patapsco Camp Tydings #356 was built by the U.S. Army in Baltimore County, after flooding destroyed an earlier camp on the Howard County side.
Text with lower right photos: CCC men building rustic shelters, the architecture recommended by the National Park Service who supervised the work.
Erected by Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Chesapeake Bay
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Sports • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1938.
Location. 39° 13.725′ N, 76° 43.366′ W. Marker is near Avalon, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Washington Boulevard (U.S. 1) and South Street. Marker is within the Patapsco Valley State Park - Avalon area, on the northern side of the Patapsco River. Marker is about 400 feet west of the Avalon Visitor Center parking lot, along the park roadway towards the Glen Artney area of the park. Entrance to PVSP is about 300 feet north of the US 1 - South Street intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halethorpe MD 21227, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Place For Progress (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Iron Builds America (about 400 feet away); Elkridge Landing (about 400 feet away); Powering the Patapsco Valley's Industries (about 400 feet away); Forging Freedom and Nails (about 700 feet away); Drinking Water for the Public (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baltimore County Water and Electric Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patapsco Valley State Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avalon.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,160 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.