“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Military Railroad Terminus

Military Railroad Terminus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 11, 2007
1. Military Railroad Terminus Marker
Inscription.  Half a mile west is the terminus of the Centreville Military Railroad, the first railroad in the world constructed exclusively for military purposes. Built by the Confederate army late in 1861 because of impassable roads, it supplied the soldiers in their winter camps at Centreville. Trains from Manassas Junction ran here until March 1862 when Confederate forces withdrew southward.

Nearby on 9 Dec. 1862, Privates Michael O’Brien and Dennis Corcoran of Maj. Chatham R. Wheat’s “Louisiana Tigers” were court-martialed for mutiny, executed by a firing squad from their own company, and buried. In 1979 their remains were reinterred at St. John’s Episcopal Church cemetery in Centreville.
Erected 1996 by the Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number C-17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 38° 49.533′ N, 77° 26.3′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Centreville Road (Virginia Route 28) south of New Braddock Road, on the right when traveling south. Old Centreville Road terminates just short of Centreville Road, without intersecting with it. The marker is where the intersection would be and can be seen from either road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6315 St Timothys Ln, Centreville VA 20121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mystery Of The Centreville Six (approx. ¾ mile away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Confederate Defenses (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Battle of Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Second Battle of Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War Fortifications (approx. one mile away); Lane's Mill and Newton's Mill Ruins (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
More about this marker. There is parking at the end of Old Centreville Road. To reach it continue south past marker to first right on Old Mill Road, then right on Old Centreville Road. Then turn right in order to stay on Old Centreville road.
Regarding Military Railroad Terminus. The Centreville Military Railroad was a branch line of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. The portion of the line between Orange and Manassas, plus this extension to Centreville, was operated by the Confederacy during this time. This branch line was six miles long.
Also see . . .
1. Execution of Two Tigers. Letter written by Second
Military Railroad Terminus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 11, 2007
2. Military Railroad Terminus Marker
Centreville Road is on the left. Old Centreville Road stops short of Centreville Road at the cul-de-sac on the right.
Lieutenant Edward Hewitt on December 12, 1861. It was originally published in a New Orleans newspaper. (Submitted on March 12, 2007.) 

2. Civil War Vignettes. Confederate Firing Squad at Centreville: First Military Executions in the Army. 1980 article by Michael R. Thomas with extensive first-person quotes. Also includes a short coda by the author entitled “Unearthing the Tiger’s Graves” regarding the 1979 exhumation and reburial of the two men. (Submitted on March 12, 2007.) 
St. John’s Episcopal Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 2, 2007
3. St. John’s Episcopal Church Cemetery
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,096 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on September 2, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Sep. 28, 2023