Historic District - South in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The house was built for Green, a British subject residing in Savannah prior to 1854. The architect was John S. Norris of New York.The house is notable as one of the country's finest examples of residential Gothic Revival architecture, the detail of the interiors being as sumptuous as any to be found in America. Cost of the construction of this house in the 1850's totaled $93,000.
In 1892 it was acquired from the Green family as a residence by Judge Peter W. Meldrim, distinguished Georgia jurist and President of the American Bar Association (1912-1913)
St. John's Episcopal Church acquired the house from the Meldrim heirs in 1943 for use as a parish house and rectory. The house was purchased partly through public subscription by the citizens of Savannah. the house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
Erected 1980 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, the National Historic Landmarks, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1727.
Location. 32° 4.424′ N, 81° 5.665′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - South. Marker is at the intersection of Bull Street and Macon Street, on the right when traveling south on Bull Street. Across from Madison Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison Square, British Southern Line of Defenses (within shouting distance of this marker); History Of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Madison Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemansonry (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Sorrel–Weed House (within Ogeechee Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Sherman's Headquarters. Entry on National Register of Historic Places:
Designed and built between 1853 and 1861; Gothic Revival style; cast-iron porch and fence
Green-Meldrim House (added 1974 - - #74000664)
Also known as St. John's Parish House
Macon and Bull Sts. , Savannah
♦ Historic Significance: Person, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Norris,John S.
♦ Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
♦ Historic Person: Sherman,Gen. William T.
♦ Significant Year: 1861, 1850
♦ Area of Significance: Military, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
Designated U.S. National Historic Landmark:
May 11, 1976
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,395 times since then and 356 times this year. Last updated on July 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on September 27, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. 7, 8. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.