Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Northlake in Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The March to Decatur

 
 
The March to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 2, 2008
1. The March to Decatur Marker
Inscription.  McPherson's Army of the Tenn. (US), consisting of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps, having crossed the river at Roswell, made a wide swing S.E. to cut the Georgia R.R. at & E. of Decatur.

Logan's 15th A.C. was the extreme left; posted at Browning Court House (Tucker), July 18, it supported Garrard's cav. which seized the R.R. at Stone Mtn. Logan camped that night at Henderson's Mill, resuming the march to Decatur next day, followed by Blair's 17th which had camped at Blake's Mill, N. Fork Peachtree Cr. From this point, both corps reached Decatur via roads now designated LaVista, Montreal & Lawrenceville; Dodge's 16th, by other rds. W.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-21.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1864.
 
Location. 33° 50.961′ N, 84° 15.439′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in Northlake. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Henderson Mill Road NE and Briarcliff Road NE, on the left on Henderson Mill Road NE. This marker is across the street from the Northlake Mall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Site: Henderson’s Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 1˝ miles away); Federal Left Wing to Decatur (approx. 1.6 miles away); Logan’s Corps Moves to Henderson’s Mill (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site: Blake’s Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Garrard & Lightburn to Stone Mountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Browning's Court House (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The Midway Church described on the Dodge's and Blair's Column Split Marker is on the left hand side of the road less than a tenth of a mile down Henderson Mill Road.
 
The March to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 2, 2008
2. The March to Decatur Marker
At the intersection of Henderson Mill Road with Briarcliff Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,298 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on July 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8886

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024