Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Banking — The Final Ingredient

1872

 
 
Banking — The Final Ingredient Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
1. Banking — The Final Ingredient Marker
Inscription.  
  Along with the abundance of natural resources, the growth of commercial agriculture and the distribution capability of the railroad, the establishment of banking supplied the final ingredient needed to solidify the development of Longview's expanding economy.
  The first bank in Longview, F.J. Harrison & Company, was chartered in 1872 and located at 213 East Tyler Street. Between 1872 and 1913 five more banks were founded in downtown Longview.
  The alley, running east and west at Fredonia Street received its name, Bank Street, because at one time or another, a bank was located at each of the four corners of the intersection.
  Downtown Longview was firmly established as the East Texas banking center and became the heart of commerce for the area.
 
Erected 1990 by the City of Longview Commission on Arts & Culture.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 32° 29.719′ N, 94° 44.318′ 
Former location of a Longview bank. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
2. Former location of a Longview bank.
W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Fredonia Street and Bank Street, on the right when traveling south on North Fredonia Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Fredonia Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Everett Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dalton Gang's Last Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Then Came the Railroad (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); From Subsistence to Cash Crops (about 300 feet away); The Courthouses of Gregg County (about 400 feet away); O. H. Methvin, Sr. (about 400 feet away); Site of James S. Hogg Newspaper (about 400 feet away); General John Gregg / Texas Secession Convention (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
 
Photo from marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
3. Photo from marker.
The Everett Building, built in 1910, housed the Citizens National Bank.
Current photo of old Citizens National Bank across street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
4. Current photo of old Citizens National Bank across street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2020