Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Then Came the Railroad
On April 7, 1870, O.H. Methvin deeded one hundred acres of farmland to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The uptown depot was constructed immediately north of the rail track on Fredonia Street.
In 1872, the Texas & Pacific took over the line, continuing the drive west. One year later, the International & Great Northern, completed another rail connection to Longview, establishing a second Longview depot - the Longview Junction.
With two railroad company depots located within a mile of each other, Longview became one of the only East/West and North/South transportation junctions in East Texas.
The City of Longview, able to utilize two rail services to transport cotton, timber and a variety of produce, began the transformation from subsistence farming to commercial trade center.
Erected 1990 by the City of Longview Commission on Arts & Culture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 32° 29.668′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 East Tyler Avenue, Longview TX 75601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of James S. Hogg Newspaper (within shouting distance of this marker); Dalton Gang's Last Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); When Mule Power Moved People (within shouting distance of this marker); Banking — The Final Ingredient (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); From Subsistence to Cash Crops (about 300 feet away); Everett Building (about 400 feet away); Timber – The First Industry (about 500 feet away); Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.