Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Guest House

 
 
Guest House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 7, 2008
1. Guest House Marker
Inscription.  Built by Henry Guest, 1760, of local stone. Thomas Paine once stayed here briefly. Relocated in 1925, became Art Center in 1940.
 
Erected 1964 by State of New Jersey.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 40° 29.499′ N, 74° 26.747′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Livingston Avenue and Morris Street, on the left when traveling south on Livingston Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Livingston Avenue , New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); SSgt. Frank Z. Molnar (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Brunswick Civil War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); College Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brigadier General Anthony Walton White grave marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christ Church Parish
Marker on Livingston Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 7, 2008
2. Marker on Livingston Avenue
(approx. 0.3 miles away); New Brunswick Station (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
 
Guest House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 7, 2008
3. Guest House Marker
Legend has it that Henry Guest, a tanner, hung out some hides to dry, which far-off British artillery took to be a group of Continental soldiers. They were surprised when the "Americans" did not scatter after being repeatedly fired upon.
Guest House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 7, 2008
4. Guest House
This house, now part of the public library, was moved here from another location on Livingston Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021