Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomsburg in Columbia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Wheeler

 
 
Fort Wheeler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
1. Fort Wheeler Marker
Inscription.  A stockade-type fort was built here in 1778 along Fishing Creek by Moses Van Campen. It served during the Revolution as a refuge against the Indians, by whom it was once attacked. Van Campen was the noted Indian scout of this region
 
Erected 1948 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative AmericansWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 41° 1.525′ N, 76° 25.681′ W. Marker is in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, in Columbia County. Memorial is at the intersection of Lightstreet Road (PA 487) and Paper Mill Road on Lightstreet Road (PA 487). This marker is near the Bloomsburg Visitors Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomsburg PA 17815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); War Hero Memorial Pinery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Carver Hall (approx. 1.8 miles
Fort Wheeler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
2. Fort Wheeler Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); 134-140 East Main Street (approx. 2 miles away); 118 East Main Street (approx. 2 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 2 miles away); Beth Israel Congregation (approx. 2.1 miles away); 56-64 East Main Street (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomsburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=89909

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2021