Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Green River in Sweetwater County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Crossing and Cruising:

Navigating the River

 
 
Crossing and Cruising Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2015
1. Crossing and Cruising Marker
Inscription. In the "old days", crossings on the Green River were made using fords (shallow portions of water), ferries and, finally, bridges. A dangerous body water, the Green River was fordable seasonally and only in certain areas. Beginning in 1862, wagons and stagecoaches of the Central Overland Express traveled the Overland Trail, crossing the river near its confluence with Bitter Creek. A ferry owned by Peter Appel crossed in the same area. In 1896 the two sides of the river were joined by a bridge, built jointly by the Town of Green River and Sweetwater County. A new bridge, Uinta Drive Bridge, was built in 1951 by the Wyoming State Highway Department and the old bridge was condemned and remove in 1954. The second deck of the Uinta Drive Bridge was added in 1982, creating two lanes of traffic in each direction.
An ambitious transportation project launched July 4, 1908 with the maiden voyage of the stern-wheeled Comet. The steam-powered craft was designed to travel 50 miles downstream to Linwood carrying freight and passengers. Due to swift currents and refueling requirements, the project was soon declared impractical and
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
, after brief recreational usage, the boat was scrapped and sunk. Other recreational cruisers used on the river were the gasoline-powered Teddy R. and Sunbeam.
Today, people still cross and cruise the Green River for fun in rafts, kayaks and inner tubes. Ambitious beaver, river otter and other wildlife navigate the river in their daily search for food, water, shelter and space. Walk quietly, Stay alert. You just might see the wildlife - two-legged and the four-legged variety!
 
Erected by Green River Chamber of Commerce, City of Green River, Wyoming Game & Fish Department, Sweetwater County Historical Museum, Wildlife Heritage Foundation of Wyoming and Wyoming Governors's Big Game License Coalition.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is June 4, 1908.
 
Location. 41° 32.212′ N, 109° 28.851′ W. Marker is in Green River, Wyoming, in Sweetwater County. It is on West Flaming Gorge Way near Hillcrest Way, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1155 West Flaming Gorge Way, Green River WY 82935, United
Crossing and Cruising: Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Unknown, circa 1908
2. Crossing and Cruising: Marker
States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Wyoming’s Westward Expansion Trails Region. It is also in the American Mountain West. Globally, it is in North America, the Rocky Mountains, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Mexico’s Alta California.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Construction and Cooling: (within shouting distance of this marker); The 24-Hour Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Green River: No Longer Wild, Forever Tamed (within shouting distance of this marker); Green River Brewery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oregon Trail Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Wesley Powell (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Paddlewheeler Comet - 1908 (approx. one mile away); Sunbeam - 1908 (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green River.
 
More about this marker. The markers is located at the Green River Visitors Center.
 
Crossing and Cruising Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2015
3. Crossing and Cruising Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
m=90040

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 28, 2026