Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oscalui

 
 
Oscalui Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
1. Oscalui Marker
Inscription.  Formerly known as Ogehage was an ancient fortified town of the Andastes located fifty rods northeasterly from this marker near the junction of Sugar Creek and the Susquehanna River. Here passed the Sheshequin Trail to the west branch of the Susquehanna and directly across the river was the Great Warrior Path.

Oscalui was succeeded by Newtychanning consisting of twenty eight log houses burned by General Sullivan August 9th 1779, in his campaign against the Iroquois. Here was the last Indian attempt at occupation along the Susquehanna in Bradford County. Oscalui was visited by Conrad Weiser as early as 1725.
 
Erected 1931 by George Clymer Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Eugenia Macfarlane Balch Fund.
 
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 41° 47.659′ N, 76° 27.941′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Memorial is at the intersection of Old Mills Road and McEwen Road on Old Mills Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William W. Hawes House (approx. 1.3 miles away); James H. Hawes House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sheshequin Path (approx. 1.7 miles away); Maxwell-Bennett House (approx. 1.7 miles away); David Wilmot (approx. 1.7 miles away); John Boyle (approx. 1.7 miles away); Guy Hulett Watkins (approx. 1.8 miles away); J. A. Decker House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
Oscalui Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
2. Oscalui Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90307

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024