Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake George in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Common Stone

 
 
A Common Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
1. A Common Stone Marker
Inscription.  
In memory of common men, this stone, taken from the banks of the Mohawk, was erected as a memorial to those Mohawk Valley men under Wm. Johnson who helped build Fort William Henry in the year 1755.

A gift of the people of the Mohawk Valley
1958

 
Erected 1958 by People of the Mohawk Valley.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, French and Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1755.
 
Location. 43° 25.201′ N, 73° 42.726′ W. Marker is in Lake George, New York, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from Canada Street (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the entrance to Fort William Henry. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake George NY 12845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Sussex Regiment Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwest Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Southeast Bastion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northwest Bastion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Northeast Bastion (about 500 feet away); Towers Hall (about 700 feet away); Lake George Steamboat Company (about 800 feet away); Lake George (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake George.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort William Henry Museum. Museum website homepage (Submitted on June 26, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Fort William Henry "Massacre," August 1757. U.S. History website entry (Submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker in Lake George image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
2. Marker in Lake George
The reconstructed Fort William Henry can be seen behind the marker in the left of the photo.
Fort William Henry image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
3. Fort William Henry
Fort William Henry was built at the southern end of Lake George in 1755 by Major-General William Johnson and a group of colonial volunteers. It was designed to defend the colony of New York and serve as a launching point for military operations against the French, who had their own fort about 40 miles to the north.
Southeast Bastion of Fort William Henry image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
4. Southeast Bastion of Fort William Henry
The French and their Indian allies defeated the British at Fort William Henry on August 9, 1757. Despite surrendering, some of the British were attacked and killed by the Mohawks in what some call the "Fort William Henry Massacre".
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,628 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9042

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024