Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near La Crosse in La Crosse County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

German Methodist Episcopal Churches

of Chipmunk Coulee

 
 
German Methodist Episcopal Churches Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, June 23, 2008
1. German Methodist Episcopal Churches Marker
Inscription.  In the mid 1800's immigrants from Bohemia and Germany began to settle the Chipmunk Coulee area. Some of the early settlers were the Belling, Bendel, Hiekel, Herold, Kunerth, Lorenz, Meyer, Neumann, Paudler, Preidel, Ringel, Ritschel, Starch, Tietze and Werner families.

In 1862 a log cabin "mission church" was built and the cemetery was established. In 1875 a second church was built within the cemetery. In 1903 a third church was built on this site and services were held until about 1940. The church was razed shortly thereafter.

The bell from this church now rings at Asbury United Methodist Church in La Crosse.
 
Erected 2003 by the Lorenz families.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 43° 43.674′ N, 91° 9.085′ W. Marker is near La Crosse, Wisconsin, in La Crosse County. Marker is on North Chipmunk Road, 1.3 miles east of County Highway K, on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
east. Marker is on the south side of the road; the cemetery is on the north side of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Crosse WI 54601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Coulee Region (approx. 4.7 miles away); 23rd and Green Bay (approx. 5.7 miles away); Nation's First Watershed Project (approx. 6.1 miles away); Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Driftless Area of Wisconsin (approx. 6˝ miles away); Quarrying the Bluffs of La Crosse (approx. 6˝ miles away); First Complete Service of Christian Divine Worship (approx. 6.6 miles away); La Crosse: "A Choice Town" (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Crosse.
 
Additional commentary.
1. cornerstone of Chipmunk Coulee German Methodist Church
When the church was being torn down Elmer G. W. Thiel of La Crosse drove out to the church site. The church’s cornerstone was unclaimed, and workers didn't know what to do with it. Elmer took it to his home in La Crosse, and put it in his garage. Elmer’s younger son Howard Thiel took the cornerstone to Chipmunk Coulee when the church marker was dedicated and gave it to one of those present.
    — Submitted August 19, 2012, by Rose Marie Thiel of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
German Methodist Episcopal Churches Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, June 23, 2008
2. German Methodist Episcopal Churches Marker
 
View of Marker from Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, June 23, 2008
3. View of Marker from Cemetery
Marker is at the center of the photo in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,638 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9059

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024