Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eureka Springs in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room

 
 
Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 1, 2015
1. Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room Marker
Inscription.  Ellis Murphy established Murphy's Firestone Tire Service at this site about 1923. Called "Murphy the Tire Man", his services were frequently required to patch inner tubes and repair tires for hundred[s] of automobiles bringing tourists to Eureka Springs. The limestone building was an auto repair shop until July 1973 when it was purchased for use as a community room for the Bank of Eureka Springs. They brought back and placed the first old-time awning on the building, beginning a restoration trend which spread throughout the historic district, and the building was restored in time for the 1979 Eureka Springs Centennial.
 
Erected by in partnership with the Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
 
Location. 36° 24.033′ N, 93° 44.378′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 23) south of Benton Street,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67 South Main Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Eureka Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Western District Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Civic Center (about 300 feet away); 85 South Main Street (about 300 feet away); Civil War Healing (about 500 feet away); Calif Spring (about 500 feet away); Eureka Springs Historical Museum (about 600 feet away); Chandler Mall Buildings (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka Springs.
 
Also see . . .  City of Eureka Springs. (Submitted on November 17, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 1, 2015
2. Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90706

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024