Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Lake Plainview

 
 
Site of Lake Plainview Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Site of Lake Plainview Marker
Inscription.  The City of Plainview, founded in the 1880s, sought agricultural supremacy for its trade area. Civic leaders pioneered irrigated farming in 1911 by boring the first of many deep water wells. In 1912, Texas Land & Development Co. installed a demonstration well near the Santa Fe Railway Depot and created Lake Plainview and a park at this site. Called Texas' largest body of water fed by a well, the lake was very popular with the public, but expensive to maintain. After fire destroyed the pump house in 1917, park and lake went back to nature. In 1977 the area again became a park.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4821.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 34° 11.64′ N, 101° 42.203′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of West 12th Street and Broadway Street, on the left when traveling east on West 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West 12th Street, Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. The Santa Fe Railroad in Plainview (a few steps from this marker); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blasingame Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. half a mile away); Schick Opera House (approx. half a mile away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.6 miles away); General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Site of Lake Plainview Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Site of Lake Plainview Marker
Site of Lake Plainview Marker (on left) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Site of Lake Plainview Marker (on left)
The Santa Fe Railroad in Plainview Marker is on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91244

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024