Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas Land & Development Company

Former Office Site of

 
 
Texas Land & Development Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Texas Land & Development Company Marker
Inscription.  Unique agricultural pioneer. Founded in 1912 by J.W. Grant and M.D. Henderson, who obtained Eastern and European capital to develop 65,000 acres of Hale, Floyd and Swisher county lands. This area became one of the most productive in America, because of the irrigated and drylands farming methods used by T.L. & D., which operated until 1956.

Winfield Holbrook was the vice president and general manager; W.J. Klinger, secretary-treasurer; D.D. Bowman and W.F. Lowe, farm superintendents. Mary L. Cox, of the staff, wrote local history.
 
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1949.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 34° 11.227′ N, 101° 42.176′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway Street. Marker is on the northeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker. Schick Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Plainview (about 600 feet away); Plainview Daily Herald (about 700 feet away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lamar School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blasingame Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Santa Fe Railroad in Plainview (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Texas Land & Development Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Texas Land & Development Company Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91249

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024