Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Charles Goodnight Memorial Trail
He entered precipitous Palo Duro Canyon by way of old Comanche Indian trail; drove thousands of buffalo from what is now park area; established his home ranch a few miles farther down canyon.
Goodnight was born in Illinois, March 5, 1836. At age of 9 he rode bareback to Texas behind covered wagon driven by his parents; he hunted with Caddo Indians beyond the frontier at 14; guided Texas Rangers fighting Comanche and Kiowas at 25; blazed cattle trails about 2,000 miles long with Oliver Loving at 30.
In partnership with John G. Adair, he expanded his original Palo Duro ranch into the giant JA and other holdings of more than a million acres and 100,000 cattle. He preserved the buffalo, founded a college, encouraged the settlement of the plains and led in a long fight for law and order.
This foremost plainsman died March 12, 1929; and
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5302.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 34° 58.798′ N, 101° 55.036′ W. Marker is in Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in front of Panhandle-Plains Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2503 4th Avenue, Canyon TX 79015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. Evetts Haley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); T-Anchor Ranch (about 400 feet away); Georgia O'Keeffe in Canyon (about 500 feet away); First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo Courts (approx. Ό mile away); Shirley House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mary E. Hudspeth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 78 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week December 11, 2016. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.