Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Historic District - North in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Barnard House

 
 
Barnard House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. Barnard House Marker
Inscription.  This Federal style house was constructed in the late eighteenth century as the residence of William Barnard, nephew of Sir John Barnard who, while serving in the British Parliament distinguished himself as a patron of the Georgia Colony

The house was purchased in 1817 by the Methodist Movement in Savannah as its first parsonage. The Reverend James Russell, first occupant of the parsonage was responsible for the construction of Wesley Chapel, which stood just south of this property until its removal in 1954. Bishop Francis Asbury was a guest in this house in November, 1813. It now serves as a Presbyterian Manse.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1813.
 
Location. 32° 4.599′ N, 81° 5.346′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - North. Marker is on Lincoln Street near East York Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1812 Wesley Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tabby, Coquina, Sandstone, and Stucco (within shouting distance of this marker); Conrad Aiken (within shouting distance of this marker); Richardson-Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away); Police Officers Monument (about 300 feet away); Colonial Town Gate (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Georgia Frontier By Jeannette Holland Austin...Page 26. Col. John Barnard (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Wikipedia entry for Bishop Francis Asbury. Francis Asbury (August 20, 1745 – March 31, 1816) was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Barnard House Marker, seen at lower left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2008
2. Barnard House Marker, seen at lower left
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,120 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9166

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024