Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roswell in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Roswell Presbyterian Church

 
 
Roswell Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 9, 2008
1. Roswell Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1839, 15 Presbyterian men and women, 'members of the colony' of Roswell, invited the Rev. Nathaniel A. Pratt, D.D., of Darien, to organize the first Presbyterian church of Roswell. These charter members included the Bulloch, Dunwody, Hand, King, Smith, Pratt families, and Misses Elizabeth and Helen Magill, Susan Elliott and Sarah Gould. John Dunwody, Sr., Barrington King, and Archibald Smith were elected elders. Dr. Pratt, the first pastor, served until his death, 40 years later. The Rev. Henry Barrington Pratt, whose Spanish translation of the Bible is used today, went from this church as a missionary to Colombia in 1856; Dr. George Butler to Brazil in 1883. The early membership included several Negro slaves. Of these, Charles Pratt and John Hall became missionaries to Africa.

In July, 1864, the advance guard of Gen. Garrard`s Cavalry Corps commandeered this church for a hospital, removing the furnishings. Except the pipe organ, these were returned intact after the war. The silver communion service in use today was hidden by Miss Fannie Whitmire in a barrel at her home until the end of the war.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-122.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1864.
 
Location. 34° 1.106′ N, 84° 21.8′ W. Marker is in Roswell, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Mimosa Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 755 Mimosa Boulevard, Roswell GA 30075, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Roswell Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Great Oaks (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Primrose Cottage (about 600 feet away); Roswell’s Distinguished Men (about 700 feet away); Francis J. Minhinnett House (about 800 feet away); Roswell's Historic Presbyterian Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Pleasant Hill Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roswell.
 
Roswell Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 9, 2008
2. Roswell Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,635 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on July 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9174

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024