Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hopewell Baptist Church

 
 
Hopewell Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 26, 2015
1. Hopewell Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  In early 1857 the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe began preaching in a post oak grove near the Hopewell community. By 1858 the Hopewell Baptist Church was organized with 30 members and the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe as first pastor. Harvey Yarborough deeded 10 acres near his home to the church and in 1859 a structure was erected on the site. During Reconstruction, members sponsored ex-slaves in the formation of their own churches. In 1973 a new brick building was dedicated and in 1994 a modern educational building was erected. In 1998 the congregation marked its 140th year of continuous worship services.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12194.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 32° 27.344′ N, 95° 21.641′ W. Marker is near Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on County Road 494, 0.2 miles east of Jim Hogg Road (County Route 431), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11804 County Rd 494, Tyler TX 75706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milburn-Gary House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Damascus Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Whisenhunt-Kinzie House (approx. 5 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Shamburger Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Pine Springs Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bethesda Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Smith County (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Also see . . .  Hopewell Baptist Church. (Submitted on December 29, 2015.)
 
Hopewell Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 26, 2015
2. Hopewell Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91828

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024