Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Church Hill in Hawkins County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Carter's Store

 
 
Carter's Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2015
1. Carter's Store Marker
Inscription.  One mile west is the site of the store established by John Carter and William Parker. This store was pillaged in the Shawnee raid of 1774. at the Sycamore Shoals Treaty in 1775, the proprietors were awarded the whole Carter's Valley as reparation.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1B 4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
 
Location. 36° 31.26′ N, 82° 43.782′ W. Marker is in Church Hill, Tennessee, in Hawkins County. Marker is on Lee Highway (U.S. 11W) 0.2 miles west of Old Union Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Church Hill TN 37642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Patterson's Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Rice's Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Settlers (approx. 3.8 miles away); Gov. McMinn’s Home
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 4.8 miles away); New Providence Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Maxwell Academy (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Great Indian Warpath (approx. 6½ miles away); Battle of Kingsport (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Church Hill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 150 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 30, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91887

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2024