Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mills in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The “Mormon” Ferry

 
 
The “Mormon” Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2015
1. The “Mormon” Ferry Marker
Inscription.  First commercial ferry on the Platte River was established 1/2 mile south of here in June 1847 by “Mormon” pioneers on their way to the valley of the Great Salt Lake. Brigham Young directed nine men to remain to operate the ferry. They were Thomas Grover, Captain, John S. Higbee, Luke S. Johnson, Appleton M. Harmon, Edmund Ellsworth, Francis M. Pomeroy, William Empey, James Davenport and Benjamin F. Stewart.
The first passengers were Missourians bound for Oregon. The ferry was made of two large cottonwood canoes fastened by cross pieces and covered with slabs. It was operated with oars.
 
Erected 1932 by Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmark Association, Natrona County Historical Society and Citizens of Wyoming. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association series list.
 
Location. 42° 50.685′ N, 106° 22.504′ W. Marker is in Mills, Wyoming, in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Natrona County. Marker is on 9th Street near Southwest Wyoming Boulevard, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 699 9th Street, Mills WY 82644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town of Mills (a few steps from this marker); Oregon Trail (a few steps from this marker); Guinard Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Site of Old Platte Bridge (approx. half a mile away); The Upper Crossing (approx. half a mile away); The Road to Zion (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Mormon Ferry (approx. half a mile away); Reconstructed Fort Caspar (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mills.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in City Memorial Park, a triangular park in Mills bounded by Southwest Wyoming Boulevard, 9th Street and Platte Avenue.
 
The “Mormon” Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2015
2. The “Mormon” Ferry Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91916

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024