Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Parapet

Remains of Old Powder Magazine

 
 
Camp Parapet Marker image. Click for full size.
November 13, 2009
1. Camp Parapet Marker
Inscription.  Part of Civil War fortification which extended from the river northward about 1-3/4 miles past Metairie Rd. Construction began in 1861 by the Confederates and continued after the fall of New Orleans by Union forces which occupied the area with many Negro troops and contraban.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 29° 57.667′ N, 90° 9.347′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is on Arlington Street, 0.1 miles east of Causeway Boulevard. Located at the end of Arlington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2812 Arlington Street, New Orleans LA 70121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Parapet (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Camp Parapet (about 700 feet away); Jefferson Highway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marsalis Mansion Motel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dubreuil Concession and Levee (approx. 0.6 miles away); Magnolia Lane
Camp Parapet image. Click for full size.
November 13, 2009
2. Camp Parapet
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Labarre Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); Whitehall Plantation Home (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
 
Camp Parapet image. Click for full size.
November 13, 2009
3. Camp Parapet
This property
Camp Parapet
Powder Magazine
Has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
on May 24, 1977
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2016. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 3, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92005

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 4, 2021