Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
C.H. King and Company
During the years 1841-1867 over 350,000 persons passed through Casper on their way West. The majority of them traveled through what is now the lobby of the First Interstate Bank. The promise of free land, sudden riches, or religious freedom caused these pioneers to endure the great hardships of a very difficult trail. Thousands of person died in the quest and are buried along the old highway. This was the largest overland migration in history.
In 1888, before Casper was an official town, C.H. King and Company store was opened for business. On June 10, 1889, it became C.H. King and Company Bankers.
In 1989, that bank celebrates 100 years of service to Casper and Natrona County as First Interstate Bank of Casper. We are proud of our heritage, and look forward to the next 100 years
Erected 1987 by Oregon-California
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Oregon Trail series list.
Location. 42° 50.992′ N, 106° 19.498′ W. Marker is in Casper, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker is at the intersection of South Center Street and East 1st Steet, on the right when traveling north on South Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 South Center Street, Casper WY 82601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monument Corrections (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Monument / Fort Casper (about 700 feet away); City of Casper (approx. half a mile away); Wyoming's Oil & Gas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Armory (approx. 1.1 miles away); Casper: "The Oil Capital of the Rockies" (approx. 1.3 miles away); Giving Shape to History (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Casper.
More about this marker. These plaques are located in the First Interstate Bank plaza.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 3, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.