Coolidge in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The oldest marked graves here are for Annie Lou Hooper and her husband, James E. Hooper, who both died in 1878. Also interred are community leaders, area pioneers and veterans of military conflicts
The cemetery is divided into four sections; Old Armour, New Armour, the Norwegian Cemetery and the Catholic Cemetery which is known locally as the Mexican Cemetery. The Coolidge Cemetery Association maintains the first three sections, while descendants care for the Catholic Cemetery. Today, Armour Cemetery is the last remaining vestige of the historic Armour Community, and continues to serve descendants of this area's early pioneers.
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15496.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 31° 44.139′ N, 96° 39.405′ W. Marker is in Coolidge, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 186 and County Road 185 on County Road 186. This marker stands just inside the Armour Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coolidge TX 76635, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Munger Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); Booker T. Washington Park (approx. 6.4 miles away); Tehuacana (approx. 6.6 miles away); William Rees (approx. 6.6 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds (approx. 9.2 miles away); Prairie Hill Baptist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coolidge.
Regarding Armour Cemetery. The Hill Cemetery and New Armour Cemetery are both across CR 186 from the Armour Cemetery. Hill Cemetery is across CR 185 from the New Armour Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.