Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of the First Schoolhouse

in West Chester, Pennsylvania - c.1760

 

— A town at that time known as Turk's Head —

 
Site of the First Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, January 6, 2016
1. Site of the First Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.  
Site of First Schoolhouse in West Chester (Turk's Head), built of logs, 1760. Used as a hospital for American wounded after the Battle of Brandywine, Sept, 1777. Some soldiers died and were buried here in the schoolyard.
 
Erected 1983 by West Chester Area School Board & by donation of the West Chester Area Education Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEducationSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1760.
 
Location. 39° 57.629′ N, 75° 36.323′ W. Marker is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Gay Street and South High Street, on the right when traveling west. This marker and another are on the ground in a flower bed planter that is within a short wrought iron fence, a few feet from a more modern marker with the same text. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First School House in West Chester (a few steps from this marker); Bank of Chester County
Notable Teachers from West Chester image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, January 6, 2016
2. Notable Teachers from West Chester
Of the educators listed here four of them, Sarah W. Starkweather, B. Reed Henderson, Joseph R. Fugett, and G. Arthur Stetson have schools that were named in their honor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester County (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank of West Chester (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chester County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Old Glory (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Chester.
 
More about this marker. The marker directly next to this one lists the names of the towns noted educators through the years.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  West Chester Area School District. (Submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
First School House in West Chester Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, January 6, 2016
3. First School House in West Chester Marker
Both First School House Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, January 6, 2016
4. Both First School House Markers
The far edge of the ground plaques are next to the tree at the lower left corner of this image
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 565 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92184

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022