Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tehuacana in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tehuacana

(Te-wah-kana)

 
 
Tehuacana Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
1. Tehuacana Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Located at one of highest points (altitude 661 ft.) between Dallas and Houston. First noted in history by Philip Nolan's trading expedition, 1797. Home in early days of Tehuacana Indians, a Wichita tribe, who engaged in farming and peaceful pursuits until they were destroyed in early 1830s by Cherokees.

Town is on Mexican land grant obtained 1835 by John Boyd, member First Congress Republic of Texas. In 1847 Boyd became first postmaster, and in 1849 nominated Tehuacana for capital of State of Texas. However, Austin won in election held in 1850.

Tehuacana Academy, a Presbyterian school locally organized and supported, operated ten years. It was organized and supported, operated ten years. It was closed during Civil War, but furnished incentive (with help of Boyd) for founding in 1869 of Trinity University. Boyd's gift of 1,520 acres of land for college use includes present campus, where Trinity (now in San Antonio) operated until 1902.

School plant was deeded to Methodist Protestant Church, which relocated here Westminster College, one of first junior colleges (1916) in Texas. The Congregational Methodist Church
Tehuacana Marker, left image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
2. Tehuacana Marker, left
Click or scan to see
this page online
bought the property in 1953 and now operates Westminster College and Bible Institute on the historic campus. (1967)
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5216.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
 
Location. 31° 44.618′ N, 96° 32.744′ W. Marker is in Tehuacana, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue and Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east on College Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tehuacana TX 76686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Rees (here, next to this marker); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert B. Longbotham (approx. 5 miles away); Mrs. Lucy Haggard Longbotham (approx. 5 miles away); Albert R. Mace (approx. 5.2 miles away); Miss Rogers' Music Room (approx. 5.2 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Origin of the Texas State Teachers Association (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tehuacana.
 
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of Westminster College.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92257

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 4, 2021