Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mount Olivet Cemetery
The parents of ten children, the McPeaks moved to a home on Lake Street when they founded this cemetery. Flavious McPeak, a respected Fort Worth businessman, had visited the Mount Olivet Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee, and was so impressed with its design that many of its features were incorporated here. A mausoleum was completed in 1909, but only served as a temporary receiving vault. It was torn down when a new mausoleum was built in 1983. A variety of free-standing and relief sculpture can be seen throughout the grounds.
Containing over 47,000 burials, this was the first perpetual care cemetery in the county. The oldest marked grave is that of Zenas Ewin Kerr, buried April 11, 1907. Also interred here are 594 victims of the flu epidemic of 1918, the McPeaks and members of their family,
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3495.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 32° 47.497′ N, 97° 18.523′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of North Sylvania Avenue and Hollis Street, on the right when traveling south on North Sylvania Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2205 N Sylvania Ave, Fort Worth TX 76111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tarrant County War Memorial "Spirit of the American Doughboy" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harper's Rest Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Armour & Company (approx. 2.1 miles away); Armour and Swift Plaza (approx. 2.1 miles away); Swift & Company (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort Worth Belt Railway (approx. 2.1 miles away); Quanah Parker (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.