Orwell in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Mt. Independence Military Road
Route to Hubbardton, 1777
After Ethan Allen seized Fort Ticonderoga, the Americans built Fort Mt. Independence, northwest from here on the Lake. Following Burgoyne’s invasion, Gen. St Clair evacuated the Forts, retreating across these hills to Hubbardton.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Notable Places • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 43° 48.196′ N, 73° 18.307′ W. Marker was in Orwell, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker was at the intersection of Vermont Route 22A and Main St (County Route 73), on the right when traveling south on State Route 22A. Marker is at the southwest corner of the intersection of VT-22A and Main St/VT-73. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Orwell VT 05760, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location Mt. Independence Military Road (within shouting distance of this marker); World War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); American Blockhouse – 1777 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Southern Battery – 1777 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Foundation -1776 or 1777 (approx. 3.9 miles away); The American Southern Defenses – 1776-1777 (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orwell.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Updated marker on the same subject which replaced this marker
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,734 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.