Newville in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First United Presbyterian Church and Manse
Part of the present structure was completed in 1883. It included a Sabbath School room, sanctuary with spectacular stained glass windows, and a 1011 pound bell donated by the citizens of Newville. Additions were in 1930, 1964 and 1989.
The 1859 manse was first occupied by Rev. W.I. Wallace who is remembered for his prayers for the success of the Union army. Southern sympathizers in his congregation warned him not to do that again! The first bathroom in Newville was installed here for the family of Rev. George Reed, Mrs. Reed was the first person to call the parsonage the "Manse."
Location. 40° 10.1′ N, 77° 24.069′ W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on West Big Spring Avenue 0.1 miles south of Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newville PA 17241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Byers-Eckels House (a few steps from this marker); Newville Trolley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Police School (about 500 feet away); Big Spring Hotel (about 500 feet away); Newville War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The First National Bank of Newville (approx. ¼ mile away); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Denning (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for First United Presbyterian Church and Manse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.