Ciudad Colonial in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
First Municipal Council in the Americas
de America al Adelantado
Don Bartolome Colon
Fundador en la margen oriental
del Rio Ozama de la Villa
de Santo Domingo del dia
5 de agosto del año 1498
para luego ser traslada
a esta parte por el Gobernador
de la Isla Hispaniola
Frey Nicolas de Ovando
en el año 1502
founder of Santo Domingo on the eastern shore of the Ozama River on August 5, 1498, which was later transferred to this location by the Governor of Hispaniola Island
Friar Nicolas de Ovando
Union of Municipal Workers
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1498.
Location. 18° 28.416′ N, 69° 53.075′ W. Marker is in Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional, in Santo Domingo. Marker is on Calle Arzobispo Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First City Hall in the Americas (within shouting distance of this marker); Pope John Paul II's 1979 Visit to Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of Santo Domingo, First of the Americas (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Borgellá's Palace (about 120 meters away); Antonio Maceo (about 120 meters away); The Plaza of the Priests (about 120 meters away); The Founding of the Listín Diario (about 120 meters away); Francisco X. Billini (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad Colonial.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.