Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad Colonial in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
 

House of the Jesuits

Casa de los Jesuitas

 
 
House of the Jesuits Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
1. House of the Jesuits Marker
Inscription.  
Asiento del Colegio de la Compañía de Jesus, fundado por Juan Jeronimo de Ribera y Quesada y provisto de licencia real el 23 de septiembre de 1701, erigido en Universidad y estudio general, con las mismas facultades y privilegios que gozaba la que se fundó en el Colegio de Gorjón el 23 de ferero de 1558. El Colegio se convirtió en la Universidad Real y Pontificia en Santiago de la Paz y de Gorjón en los años 1747 y 1748

English translation:
House of the Jesuits. Founding location of the College of the Company of Jesus, founded by Juan Jeronimo de Ribera y Quesada and given a royal license on September 23, 1701. It was changed to a University and house of general studies, with the same rights and privileges as that founded as the College of Gorjón on February 23, 1558. The College was converted into the Royal and Pontifical University of Santiago de la Paz y Gorjón during the years 1747 and 1748.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkColonial EraEducationMan-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is February 23, 1558.
 
Location.
House of the Jesuits Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
2. House of the Jesuits Marker
The smaller marker to the right reads: Casa de los Jesuitas, restaurada por el Gobierno Constitucional 1973 (English: House of the Jesuits, restored by the Constitutional Government 1973).
Click or scan to see
this page online
18° 28.528′ N, 69° 52.985′ W. Marker is in Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional, in Santo Domingo. Marker is on Calle Mercedes close to Calle Las Damas, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (a few steps from this marker); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dávila House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pantheon of the Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); María Toledo Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Pantheon of the Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace of the Governors (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad Colonial.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92758

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 5, 2022