Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad Colonial in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
 

Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón

Palacio Virreinal de Diego Colón

 
 
Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
1. Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón Marker
Inscription.  
Sede del primer virreinato de América y residencia de la familia Colón-de Toledo. Su construcción se inicia en 1511 por orden del Virrey y Gobernador Don Diego Colón, hijo del Primer Almirante Don Cristóbal Colón, descubridor de América. Estuvo ocupado por la familia y sus descendientes hasta 1577, reconstruido en 1955, alberga un museo histórico.

English translation:
Site of the first Viceroyalty of America and residence of the Colón de Toledo family. Its construction started in 1511 by the Viceroy and Governor Diego Colón, son of the First Admiral Christopher Columbus, discoverer of America. It was occupied by the family and their descendants until 1577. Rebuilt in 1955, it houses a historical museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1511.
 
Location. 18° 28.645′ N, 69° 52.964′ W. Marker is in Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional, in Santo Domingo. Marker can be reached from Calle La Atarazana. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
2. Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Duarte's Return from Exile (within shouting distance of this marker); Salomé Ureña de Henríquez (within shouting distance of this marker); The Atarazanas School (within shouting distance of this marker); Nicolás de Ovando (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); 1505 Colonial House (about 120 meters away); The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (about 120 meters away); Palace of the Governors (about 150 meters away); Admiral Juan Alejandro Acosta (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad Colonial.
 
Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón additional marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
3. Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón additional marker
An additional marker mounted into the wall of the corridor of the Palace reads: Reconstruyó y decoró este palacio el arquitecto español Javier Barroso Sánchez Guerra, 1955-1957 (English: The Spanish architect Javier Barroso Sánchez Guerra reconstructed and decorated this palace, 1955-1957.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 1, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92803

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 5, 2022