Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad Colonial in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
 

Palace of the Governors

Palacio de los Gobernadores de la isla Española

 
 
Palace of the Governors Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
1. Palace of the Governors Marker
Inscription.  
Palacio de los Gobernadores de la isla Española.
Capitanes generales y presidente de la Real Audiencia,
primero de America construido alrededor de 1512
Sirvio de residencia a estos funcionarios reales durante la epoca colonial. En el periodo republicano
fue sede del gobierno nacional hasta el
año de 1947.
Con motivo XX aniversario de la fundacion

English translation:
Palace of the Governors of the island Hispaniola.
Captains general and the president of the Royal Court, first in the Americas,
had it built around 1512, and it was used as the residence of these royal officials during the colonial era. In the Republican period it hosted the national government until 1947.
On occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the foundation

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraGovernment & PoliticsMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1512.
 
Location. 18° 28.565′ N, 69° 52.981′ W. Marker is in Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional, in Santo
Palace of the Governors Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
2. Palace of the Governors Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Domingo. Marker can be reached from Calle Las Damas. The marker is on the northeast corner of the building, near to the large patio of the Diego Colón residence. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional 10212, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (within shouting distance of this marker); House of the Jesuits (within shouting distance of this marker); Nicolás de Ovando (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dávila House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Pantheon of the Nation (about 120 meters away); 1505 Colonial House (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad Colonial.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92842

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022