Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Saint John's Lodge Number Six

 
 
Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker
Inscription.  Saint John`s Lodge Number Six, of Sunbury, Free and accepted Masons, was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia, April 21, 1777, in Masonry 5777. Under an Act of the Legislature of Georgia, February 6, 1796, The Grand Lodge was incorporated and given power to corporate bodies under their jurisdiction. Under this new authority, the Grand Lodge, on June 5, 1802, " On motion ordered that Saint John`s Lodge Number Six, Sunbury hold their charter on paying arrearage due."

Annual returns were made to the Grand Lodge back to 1787 and the Lodge was admitted to full participation with the following officers recognized: Adam Alexander, Worshipful Master; William Peacock, Senior Warden; Andrew Maybank, Junior Warden; Thomas Lancaster, Treasurer; Daniel Stewart, Secretary; Nathan Dryer, Senior Deacon; John Bilheimer, Junior Deacon; James Roberts, Steward; Samuel Law, Steward; and George C. Somerall, Tyler.

On November 4, 1805, John and Rebecca Couper gave to the Lodge, lot No. 77 of the Town of Sunbury, situate a few hundred feet north of this marker, upon which to erect a Lodge building.
 
Erected by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Grand Lodge of Georgia Harvey C. Stephens, Grand Master -- Daniel W. Locklin,Grand Secretary Dewey W. Wollstein, Chairman, Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraFraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is February 6, 1788.
 
Location. 31° 46.204′ N, 81° 16.83′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Brigantine Dunsmore Road and Fort Morris Road, on the right when traveling west on Brigantine Dunsmore Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sunbury (here, next to this marker); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Morris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonel's Island (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker ( L.) shares a small park with Sunbury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker ( L.) shares a small park with Sunbury Marker
Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker on right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Saint John's Lodge Number Six Marker on right
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,890 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9292

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024