Donegal Township in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1973 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1782.
Location. 40° 7.26′ N, 80° 28.45′ W. Marker is in Donegal Township, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 40 and Lake Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 40. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claysville PA 15323, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miller’s Blockhouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ohio County / State of Pennsylvania (approx. 2.7 miles away in West Virginia); Claysville (approx. 3.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ray’s Arithmetic (approx. 4.1 miles away in West Virginia); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 6.2 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Donegal Township.
Also see . . . The Rice Family and Rice’s Fort. “According to Dr. Raymond Bell in his ‘Dutch Fork Settlement’ the Rice Settlement was dated at about 1773 in Dutch Fork area about three miles from the current West Virginia and Pennsylvania line and ten miles east of the Ohio River. The Rice’s started a grist mill here and later they built a fort on the bank to the west of the road. What had been a peaceful community erupted in war in 1777 and among the Ohio County militia is listed Henry Fullenwider. When the settlers were threatened by Indians they fled to nearby forts of blockhouses including the built by Jacob Rice.” (Submitted on July 18, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,038 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.