Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966

 
 
The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2016
1. The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 Marker
Inscription.  In May 1887, the original wood frame building of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Fernandina was given to the black congregation and called Good Shepherd Episcopal Church. The structure was moved to face east on Ninth Street. The rectors of St. Peter's continued to serve the segregated congregations on Sunday mornings. Father Neil Gray, who served both parishes in the 1950s, called the walk between the two churches his "via dolorosa," or "way of suffering." In the 1950s, Good Shepherd included 59 confirmed adult members and 24 children. In 1964, the Good Shepherd building was destroyed by Hurricane Dora and a new building replaced it two years later. When Hamilton West, the Episcopal Bishop of Florida, declined to consecrate the new church, the black and white congregations were integrated. The new building, although never used as a church, became a youth center and stands on the northwest corner of the campus. The original church bell, which was cast from metal recovered from a pre-Civil War Florida railroad engine, was moved to Camp Weed in Live Oak, the camp of the Diocese of Florida.
 
Erected 2015
The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2016
2. The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
by St. Peter's Parish and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-846.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionCivil Rights. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 30° 40.289′ N, 81° 27.475′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on North 9th Street just south of Alachua Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Zion Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); First Missionary Baptist Church of Fernandina (about 600 feet away); Nassau County American Revolutionary War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Memorial United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lesesne House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92955

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022