Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Oviedo area was first referred to as the Lake Jesup Settlement. Lake Jesup's first store was built on the southern shore in 1870 by John F. Mitchell. Antonio Solary, a Jacksonville merchant, built another store with a larger wharf west of Mitchell's about two years later.
During this time Solary's Wharf was the site of the Lake Jesup post office, and mail and passengers came weekly from Sanford on the Steamboat Volusia.
Solary's Wharf served the Central Florida area until the railroad was built from Sanford in 1886, at which time the Oviedo post office, established in 1879, became the only post office for the community.
George H. Browne, the storekeeper at Solary's Wharf, was speaker of the Florida House
In 1888, Oviedo orange growers formed the Oviedo , Lake Charm & Lake Jessup Railroad, with the proposed rails to end at Solary's Wharf. This line never operated, but it did serve as a ploy in forcing the South Florida Railroad to lower unfair rates for hauling fruit.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 28° 42.31′ N, 81° 12.393′ W. Marker is in Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from Black Hammock Fish Camp Road, 0.2 miles north of Black Hammock Road when traveling north. Marker can be found at the boat ramp past the end of the road and adjacent to the Black Hammock Restaurant. It is partially hidden by shrubbery surrounding the boat ramp. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2356 Black Hammock Fish Camp Road, Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Charm (approx. 1.9 miles away); White’s Wharf (approx. 1.9 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lawton House (approx. 2½ miles away); Navy Plane Crash/Jim Jones: An Eyewitness (approx. 2.7 miles away); Winter Springs Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Wagner (approx. 4.1 miles away); Slavia (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oviedo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings in context. • Can you help?