Near Geneva in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Second Seminole Indian War, 1837-1841 was fought by the United States to drive the Seminole Indians from the peninsula of Florida. From his main base at Fort Mellon (Sanford) on Lake Monroe General Jesup, Army of the South Commander, proposed to send an army of 2000 men under the command of General Eustis to the head waters of the St. Johns River in pursuit of the southward retreating Seminoles. To support this army he established supply depots a day's march apart (approximately 30 miles) along his proposed route.
Fort Lane was the first depot in this chain. It was established here on the west bank of Lake Harney on December 18, 1837 by Companies F & K, 2nd United States Infantry under the command of Major Greenleaf Dearborn of Maine. Brought by barges from Fort Mellon, the companies consisted of an average of 125 Florida militiamen, including a fifer and a drummer, according to army records (post returns).
Kentuckian, Captain John F. Lane (1810-1836), for whom Fort Lane was named, graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1828. His first assignment was as a professor of mathematics and philosophy at West Point. In 1836 he committed suicide while serving as aide-de-camp to General Jesup. His death may be viewed as a commentary on the well documented effect of health and/or the ill-defined bouts with conscience to which the military was subjected.
Other officers were Lieutenants Silas Casey as adjutant J.R.D. Bennett, William Alburtis, Hannibal Day and Major Thomas Steniford.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 43.974′ N, 81° 4.492′ W. Marker is near Geneva, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from Fort Lane Road 0.1 miles east of Whitcomb Drive, on the left when traveling east. Marker is on the shore of Lake Harney in Fort Lane Park near picnic shelter. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Geneva FL 32732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King Philipstown/Osceola (approx. 3.8 miles away); Chuluota George C. Means Memorial Bridge (approx. 7.6 miles away); Lake Jesup (approx. 8.2 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 9.2 miles away); Lawton House (approx. 9.4 miles away); Ramey Field (approx. 10.1 miles away); NAS Sanford/City of Sanford (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort Lane.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.