Driftwood in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Camp Ben McCulloch No. 946 United Confederate Veterans
The first commander of Camp Ben McCulloch was Capt. Martin Luther Reed. Other officers elected at the first meeting were Jacob C. Quick, W.M. Weaver, W.W. Davis, W.T. Chapman, Dr. J.M. Pound, and Santa Anna Cruze. The camp was named for Confederate General Ben McCulloch, also a veteran of the Texas Revolution, who died in the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, in 1862.
The reunion grounds and other responsibilities were transferred to the care of the Confederate Sons after Burl Nash, the last veteran in the county, died in 1947 at age 108. The Sons in turn deeded the camp to the grandsons and other descendants of the Confederate veterans. Reunions continue to be held, illustrating the ongoing
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10248.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 30° 7.868′ N, 98° 0.838′ W. Marker is in Driftwood, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1826, 0.2 miles west of Farm to Market Road 967, on the left when traveling west. Marker is on pullout near entrance to park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18301 FM Road 1826, Driftwood TX 78619, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Driftwood Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Driftwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Driftwood Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); William B. Travis Heritage Trail (approx. 1.2 miles away); Elsner (approx. 5.1 miles away); Phillips Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Dripping Springs (approx. 6.1 miles away); Dr. Joseph M. Pound (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Driftwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.