Auburndale in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
City's First Fire Engine
Chief James A. Hancock Jr. Building
In 2001 the Fire Department moved to this location and the historic engine was moved into this building named in honor of Chief James A. Hancock, Jr. Chief Hancock worked for the City of Auburndale from 1951-1991 and served as Chief from February 20, 1956 until his retirement. He was named Outstanding Fire Chief in 1981 by the Florida Fire Chiefs' Association. His public service tenure remains one of the longest in the City's history.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical date for this entry is June 23, 1925.
Location. 28° 4.056′ N, 81° 47.567′ W. Marker is in Auburndale, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on Ariana Avenue north of Newbern Circle, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Ariana Avenue, Auburndale FL 33823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ephraim M. Baynard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seaboard Air Line Rail Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Ephraim M. Baynard House (approx. ¼ mile away); Auburndale City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Flatiron" Triangle Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Patterson Retail Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bayard Retail Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Cummings (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburndale.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.